Thursday, September 20, 2012

American Swim Academy


In August, we finally decided to give swim lessons a shot.  As is Kai's temperament, it has been a slow journey to observe and literally "feel out the waters."  Kai started off by clinging desperately to Ryuta's neck throughout the lesson, but he has made a good deal of progress in feeling more comfortable in the water.  Ryuta was sick one Saturday, so I took Kai.  With lots of assurement and praise, Kai more quickly warmed up to his lesson.  The Saturday morning swim lesson is only 30 minutes, so we really need to warm up FAST!!  Right now, Kai is in the swim babies class which is 6 months to 3 years.  Each child has a parent with them.  As soon as he gets more and more comfortable, we will try to get him into the preschool class.  I can then take him on a weekday and he can go in the water with just the teacher.  My hope is that he will feel more comfortable in the water, to trust the teacher (and himself) to try some new things and learn some new skills.  My parents put my brother and I into swim lessons every summer from babyhood through junior high and I feel very confident in the water.  I look forward to future trips to the beach and to Hawaii, summer parties at a swimming pool, and also our future season passes to the local water park.  Our boys MUST learn how to swim!
Congrats, Kai, on completing your first session! We are so proud of you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment