Sunday, June 10, 2012

A new addition to the clan

Wow. So, I haven't updated this blog since announcing that I was pregnant. Well, NOW the news is that he is HERE! 
Lukas Kei Sanui was born at 7:11 PM on Saturday, June 2nd, 2012 weighing 6 lbs 9 oz and measuring 19 1/2 inches.

our newest cutie pie in the house
 I guess I should backtrack since I have not updated at all during my whole pregnancy..I'll try to summarize the best I can.  This pregnancy, like with Kai, was not difficult at all.  I had cravings for chinese dim sum, frozen grapes, McDonald's ice cream cones, donuts, boba, chocolate, cookies.  I was gaseous for about half the time and would have gas attacks where I'd belch and burp every few seconds for an hour.  It was just slightly annoying and gross, too.  I tried my best to enjoy being pregnant and took lots of prego pics, did as much as I could with Kai for the memories of "just us", rested, talked and prayed a lot with friends about my fears about labor and having more kids.  Everything ran very smoothly until the last month.  I had an ultrasound that said that I had low fluid levels.  From there, I was coming into the doctor's 3 times a week for an appointment, an ultrasounds, and 2 NST tests.  It seems like my placenta has issues at the end of pregnancy.  Kai did not grow at the end and was induced at 38 weeks.  Lukas was a trooper and grew and was very healthy all the way through, but the doctor felt it was best to induce anyways at 39 weeks.  My fluid levels remained on the low side and she said it was better not to wait.  I had some time to be prepared for induction and to anticipate it this time.  I tried to induce myself for 2 weeks by going for long walks, eating spicy food and pineapple, getting massages at the chiropractor.  (Although I only wanted to do the "fun" stuff!)  But, none of it worked.  So, at about 39 weeks, I went into the hospital late Friday night for induction. 


10 weeks.  I love how silly and cute Kai looks!

28 weeks.  Popping!

32 weeks.  Kai is giving his little brother a high-5. :)

36 weeks. Mother's Day. Feeling awesome.  Daddy is already pooped & the day has just begun. LOL 

Week 1 of our new life with 2 boys!

Overall, it was a super positive experience going through labor and being in the hospital.  Ryuta's chances just went way up to have more kids!  It was a night and day difference from my memories of Kai being born.  This time, the cervadil did not work at all, but I didn't care.  I was so grateful to SLEEP that night in the hospital.  In the morning, I was still only 1 cm dilated and they gave me another drug that took 4 hours to dilate me.  The contractions started to pick up and my mom helped me with my breathing.  My mom is such an awesome labor coach.  She relaxed me with massages and focused me on my breathing.  Thanks so much, mom!  After that, it was pitocin time!  I started to get a little scared at this point because I didn't want to feel any intense, sudden, sharp pains.   I was scared of feeling them break my water.  I was scared of how much more it would hurt everytime they would check my cervix.  But thank God.  The lovely anesthesiologist came to my rescue with my epidural.  That part was actually really scary, too.  I get really queesy and I'm a big weeny when it comes to needles.  The nurses were so wonderful and hugged me and held me and gave me lots of encouragement as the epidural went in.  I had to curl into a ball for 15 minutes which is a little difficult when you have a big pregnant belly and are trying to breathe through contractions.  I had to tell myself that it would be over soon and I'd feel so much better.  When they said to curve my back more, I visualized protecting the baby when I wrapped my arms around my tummy.  Once the epidural did its thing (which was quick!) I felt nothing!  It was awesome! I looked at my contractions on the computer screen and was like, "Oh yaaaa, I am NOT feeling that! Sweeet!"  After the epidural, it was cake to get my cervix checked and have them break my water.  Lukas reacted well to the pitocin and it was a smooth wait until pushing time. 


At a recent visit to the hospital to see my dear friend Sarah's new baby, I saw a focus poster that she made to keep her going during labor. I loved it and made a similar one for myself.  It really did help to look at words of encouragement, pics of our family, to stay focused on the "goal", & scrips..

When it was nearing pushing time, the doctor checked my cervix and said that I was already at 9-10 cm.  She asked if I wanted to push for a long time or just like 10-15 minutes?  I said 10 minutes, please.  I felt like I was ordering something at a restaurant.  She said to let them know when I started to feel any pressure down below and that meant the baby's head was pushing out already.  I felt pressure, but wasn't sure because it didn't feel like what they described.  Dr. Sarda checked and said that the baby's head was already on its way out!!! The pushing this time was so different.  The epidural was still in full force and I felt NOTHING.  They had to bring out a mirror so I could see if what my body was doing was pushing him out.  It was kinda nasty to see, but it did help.  Ryuta did an excellent job this time holding my hand and counting all the way to ten (last time, he'd trail off at 7 and I'd lose my breath.)  Dr. Sarda was amazing.  I really loved having her because she was very professional and informative, but she was also HILARIOUS.  We don't think she even intended to, but during the pushing, she was cracking me up.  She told Ryuta that he is not the mom's best friend, but the doctor's best friend because he counted soooo slow.  She was a cheerleader during pushing, "C'mon yes yes yes yes! right there!" It was very motivating and funny at the same time.  I remember telling her, "I feel like I'm in a sitcom right now.  This is NOT reality TV."  Seriously, who laughs while pushing out a baby?! 


Dr. Sarda-Maduro, the comedian/cheerleader/OB-- LOVE HER!!! <3
 It was so God and just lots and lots of prayers.  I am still so thankful and joyful about this experience.  I am not traumatized.  I still love my husband.  He is allowed to kiss me.  God has heard my cries and my pleas and answered my prayers.  My prayers for a healthy labor and recovery, prayers for a smoother time with breastfeeding and a baby who knew how to latch, prayers that Ryuta and I could be more of a team this time.  I am very lucky and very blessed to have been able to have a great pregnancy, labor, AND recovery (It seemed before that I had to pick and choose which one--good pregnancy/terrible labor?!)  I am so lucky and blessed for all of the friends praying for me and my health, for my mom's help, for Ryuta and our beautiful boys.

Goodbye, Washington Hospital. We're going home!!


No comments:

Post a Comment