Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Taking it all and learning something new

So, I'm not totally new to teaching. I taught before I became a mom. It was a huge part of my identity and my confidence.  I felt like for the most part, I knew what I was doing, who I was, and I found a wonderful second family in my school community.  Then, God had different plans for me, what I could handle, what was best for me and our family. I was laid off and the timing was just right. Kai was born at the start of the following school year.  I stayed home to focus on motherhood and building our home.  After 4 years at home, Ryuta needed to make a change and I needed to go back into the classroom.  This was my first time working AND being a mom.  I got a job in Fremont teaching 2nd grade.  Some things were huge blessings and others were big challenges. 
I was thankful to teach again and have that space that was all mine. I was blessed by a nice principal and coworkers plus a breezy "commute" and an army of parent volunteers.  I experienced some humbling learning experiences and I will take my new knowledge into next school year.

Doraemon/my husband left this in the car for me when I was going through a little slump during the year. His fobby English makes me smile.
I feel like I have never done so much art before! This was a super cute spring art/poetry using egg cartons.
This was my April Fools joke I played on the kids. I baked some brownies/brown Es for them!!! :)
I felt really loved and appreciated during teacher appreciation week!
My 2nd graders were really into Legos and rainbow looms. I loved getting these rubber band bracelets! 
These were our plants versus zombie grass heads :)
It may not look like much, but I felt so proud of myself and my kids of our room and our hard work.  I took this right before Open House.
2nd grade letters can be really sweet.  One of my "friends" left me these thoughtful cards and notes on my desk! <3
We did an impromptu art project for our ocean animal report. They colored on crinkled tin foil with markers for the ocean background.  I loved the end result!
What a year.. I feel like I'm becoming a moving expert. Goodbye, Room 1 & hello, Room 18!
I was so lucky to have an amazing 2nd grade team to work with. Our students were so lucky to have parents who planned big celebrations for them. Our end-of-year celebration was packed with an awards ceremony, pizza, ice cream sundae bar, minute-to-win-it, and a face painter!!! 

As soon as I get the email, this will be my next home away from home in room 18!! Anyways, let me savor these last few weeks of summer... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment