Friday, September 23, 2011

Kai turns TWO!

Short chunky, sumo roly-poly legs are now running, climbing, jumping, skydiving and are now long, lean, and DARK!  The vacant stare and garbled noises are now expressive smiles and actual words..
Kai is still my sweet, gentle, handsome boy, but it is amazing how he is now into his 2s.  He has grown so much this year in so many ways and I think that I have too as his mother.  Kai has a lot of words under belt and can recite most of his ABCs and some numbers in English and Japanese.  He is no longer in his crib and is so much more confident in his movements, finally climbing ladders and going down slides.  He is getting better using crayons and art materials.  Kai is getting better with brushing and flossing his teeth.  Most of his buddies are on their way to being older siblings. 
For me, I think that we have learned so much as parents.  We have learned how to talk to each other more about our expectations on how to raise Kai.  We are learning how to discipline together and still learning how to set clear, healthy boundaries.  I am learning patience and asking for help and advice and how to be giving and nurturing and to be engaged and interested. 
I had a great talk with my friend Sarah over the phone the other day and she shared how being a parent gives us glimpses of God's love.  We can understand some of God's feelings for us when we think about our own feelings for our kids.  It is just a small degree of the vastness of God's love.  This reminded me of a scripture we looked at at one of our mommy bible talks this summer. 
Psalm 18:35
You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me; you stoop down to make me great.
We talked about how as moms we are often stooped over to change diapers, pick things up, pick up our kids... and how God stoops down to make us great!
This year, Kai and I have been making lots of friendships.  He is still going to Gymboree and LOVES teacher Beth.  "Tee Beh"  He went to a Mommy & Me class.  Recently, he started going to CSLOT.  He was referred by the pediatrician at his 18 month to the East Bay Regional Center.  He qualified for services and started getting "preschool" services at CSLOT which focuses on speech therapy.  Since April, we've been meeting with lots of different friends and friends from church for a mommy bible talk group about every other week.  That's been really refreshing getting with other moms.

September 26, 2009

He was SUCH a cute little fattie!!!

1st studio pics at 5 months.. oh how I miss all those chunky rolls!

Kai's 2nd pic over a year later...

Almost 2-year-old Hawaiian boy

This weekend Kai will celebrate his birthday with all his friends and have a joint party with his long-distance girlfriend Keila.  I got a little carried away with the Mickey and Minnie theme.  I will post pics and recap on it later on the blog....

No comments:

Post a Comment