Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Holidays 2012


Merry Christmas.


Many happy, joyful wishes to you and your family this holiday season.

At the start of 2012, I (Somer) resolved to work on being more joyful and grateful and as I look back on the year, I truly am thankful for all of the people and experiences that made up our year. As I reflect back, I think, “What exactly did I do this year?” I spent half the year making a baby in my tummy while pigging out on McDonald’s burgers and ice cream cones, enjoying the benefits of insurance and the chiropractor, cherishing the last moments of times with “just Kai” going on play dates, and trips to the park. I dedicated my time to creating a community of moms, trying to discover new recipes, and thinking about how to build our home and family.



After 6 years at Anelva/Canon, Ryuta started a new job in early August at Mirapro. He still keeps in touch with old clients and co-workers at frequent lunches and dinner outings. On the weekends, he keeps up his tennis. Saturday mornings are bonding times with Kai—swim and bike rides. I am hoping we can try out e-soccer in 2013! Ryuta still enjoys reading manga, watching movies, and shopping for sneakers and jeans and funny t-shirts.



Kai had a big year with lots of changes. He became a big brother. During the summer, he started preschool 2 mornings a week and swim lessons on the weekends. He turned 3 in September. We have been dabbling into the world of potty training and it has been a slow process. In October, he became a student at a new Japanese preschool in San Jose and he is slowly becoming more bilingual. We love the structure of the school and the gentle, caring teachers. Kai is a shy, smart, imaginative, careful boy who loves his teachers, singing songs, reading books, doing art, building and organizing, going for bike rides with his dad, trips to Happy Hallow, eating rice with furikake, eating fruit, cookies, watching Anpanman, and Disney Cars.



On June 2nd, we were blessed to meet the newest addition, Lukas Kei Sanui. Lukas loves to be around people and is a very social, happy creature. He brings so much joy, many smiles, and much laughter into our home. I always think of the Elton John song “Your Song” when I think about him. “I hope you don’t mind that I put down in words how wonderful life is now that you’re in the world.” Papa-san calls him “Lizard Boy” because Lukas is exploring his world with his tongue! I think of him as my little owl because of his adorable, round eyes. This Christmas, he will be almost 7 months and will likely be rolling and scooting all over the house.



Travels & Visits—

My mom, Kai, and I visited my brother’s family in Houston in January and they paid us a visit in August. It was great to see the cousins all together. Ryuta’s mom/”Grandma” flew in from Japan in February and in July. In March, Ryuta and I did a “babymoon” weekend away in San Francisco, enjoying some rare moments away just the 2 of us. In October, we were lucky to have a family mini-trip to Monterey. At the end of this year, we are headed to Oahu for a couple of weeks to ring in the new year.





Other important events—

This year both grandparents turned 80. We missed Grandpa’s birthday because I was in my last month of pregnancy and couldn’t fly out to Vegas. I’m sorry I missed seeing him dressed up as Elvis! Grandma’s birthday was a wonderful family reunion with family flying in from Colorado, Oregon, and San Diego. Our cousin, Justin, graduated from San Jose State and is now working in Arkansas doing great things with his education. For Halloween, Kai was Super Boy (but DON’T tell him that his “t-shirt” was a “costume!”), Lukas was a monster, and I was “Fear the Beard” Wilson. (Go Giants! World Series champs!!!!) We went trick-or-treating with the Pons family. Papa-san and Lukas passed out candy. We said goodbye to my father’s longtime tennis friend, Haruki-san, in May. We also felt a great loss as a community as our tennis club was closed. For the past 20 years (of my life at least), the club was a gathering place to meet friends, exercise, and play tennis. We also said goodbye to cousin Ashley and family as they moved out into “wild”  territory in Colorado.



New beginnings==

This was a year of new lives, new babies! Lukas will have lots of playmates as he grows up. Welcome the Year of the Dragon babies—Kobe, Samuel, Eowyn, Sage, Alyre, Cope, Arya, Judah, and Olivia.

Sometime during the spring, our backyard project was completed. We said goodbye to the old pool and hello to our new backyard space. I learned a lot about dealing with contractors for sure! But, we definitely are enjoying the new entertaining space and not having to worry about little ones falling into the pool.

I called this Halloween my “Mardi Gras” as I chowed down on chocolate before my season of “lent,” a season of exercise, healthy eating, and more discipline and self-control. In November, I joined a gym with my parents. They had started a morning exercise program and it really made big differences in their health and energy. I decided to give it a shot, too. I’ve had my fair share of aches, but my parents have really inspired me to be a healthier person. I know that I could not have tried this out without them! This healthy living is a new beginning for me (and surprisingly it is the END of the year!)

Tutu & Papa (my parents) will be headed to Houston to spend Christmas with my brother’s family. This will be our first Christmas as a family. I look forward to creating some special memories of “just us,” our little Sanui clan. Please stop by and say hello if you are in the hood. 



Well, we want to wish you and your loved ones a very merry Christmas and a happy new year!



Love,

The Sanui Family

Ryuta, Somer, Kai, & Lukas





Luke 2

10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment