Tuesday, October 2, 2012

西山と学園

今週、海君は日本語学校始まります。私達、ちょっとわくわくしたり、excited and nervousでした。This week, Kai started Japanese preschool at Nishiyamato Gakuen in San Jose.  Monday was his first day.  We were all very nervous, but also excited, too.  This is all a new experience for me, too, taking my son to a VERY Japanese school.  I am familiar with some of the customs, but it doesn't feel natural to me at all.  For example, the children need to bring "indoor shoes" with a special shoe bag, a bento box with a little scarf, a hand towel, a change of clothes for PE and naptime plus a "uniform," and a toothbrush set. 
At first, my attitude has been skeptical of different things and a little resistant.  Why are they charging us for clothes? Why don't they have a building? Why do we have to pay these different entrance and interview and application fees?  Why do I need to pick up AND drop off on Mondays?  Do they have enough teachers? Will they tell me everything? Will Kai like it? Will he make friends?  Will he understand?
But, little by little, my mind and attitude is slowly changing.  I can see that the Japanese way is always above-and-beyond and they are very gentle and nurturing with small children.  I am grateful that we CAN send Kai and that he gets this amazing opportunity at such a young age.  I am more sure that God will develop this gift of bilingualism in our children for a special reason!
Proverbs 18:16
A gift opens the way for the giver and ushers him into the presence of the great.


Kai is in the panda class with Naoko-sensei.

first drop-off..Chie-sensei was comforting him.  Luckily, he didn't cry long.

:(

end of day 1
 While Kai was in school, Lukas and I met up with my cousin, Nicole, at Starbucks at Santana Row. It ends up that she lives very close to there, so we might meet up next week, too! I am seeing that Mondays may be a good day to connect with friends in the south bay or to even meet my dad for lunch.
After meeting with Nicole, it was lunchtime and I wasn't sure if I should drive home with my poor, sick Lukas.  We ended up picking up fast food and I dropped by the school to see how Kai was.  They said that he was very happy and ate a lot at lunch.  Then, Lukas and I went down the street to the book store to hang out.
Naoko-sensei, at pick-up, said that Kai spoke in both English and Japanese.  He sat on the potty and took a very short nap.  I asked Kai after what he thought.  He misses Miss Jynette and Miss Monique.  I told him we could visit to say hi, but this would  be his new school now.  It would take some time, but we think he will like it.  We will see how the rest of the week goes! がんばってね、海君!!

No comments:

Post a Comment