Saturday, April 16, 2011

Jet lag subdued and this is how I'll spend my Saturday night!

Ryuta is working on his resume right now, in the hopes that the job gods will smile down upon him with something that will fit the bill.  He has no idea what he wants. Just something different.  Or actually, something similar in terms of commute and time, but more pay and more interesting!
Kai has finally given up on his whining and is asleep in his room.
Me? I'm just sitting here, tired of reading people's fb comments and thought, "Gee, I haven't written in our blog in awhile."  I have to blog about our recent trip to Japan and updates and stuff.
Kai's Communication Update:
 I thought for starters, I'd make a list of
words that Kai can sign--
milk
dog
more
eat
drink
juice
banana
apple
cereal
please
thank you
bye bye
all done
up
help
Words he has identified as understanding--
grapes
strawberry
rice
veggies
broccoli
sandwich
soup
fork
spoon
bib
peas
kisses
tutu
papi
mommy
daddy
auntie
uncle
cat
fish
bird
bath
down
head
nose
ears
sign language
book
bunny rabbit
butterfly
diaper
car
no
ball
flower
TV
panda
chopsticks
chair
table
Grandma
Grandpa
teddy bear
Elmo
Mickey Mouse
Shimajiro
orange
Japanese words he understands--
denki (light)
gyunyu (milk)
modoshite/naoshite (put it away)
Books I can recite and he can find in a pile of books--
Brown Bear
Doug the Donkey Foal
Elmo-If You're Happy
Moo Baa Lalala
Very Hungry Caterpillar
Goodnight Moon
Puppy Love
Animal Friends
Big Bird's Birthday
Asobou yo
We're Going on a Bear Hunt
Mogu Mogu Itadakimasu
Where's Spot?
Curious George's Neighborhood
Kick Your Legs
Five Little Pumpkins
Where is Baby's Belly Button?


Well.. that's all I can think of for now.  Kai has been speaking gibberish, baby talk, but has made a clear distinction between calling for his mama or dada now. :)  He can point to his mommy, daddy, tutu, papi, grandma, grandpa, aunties, and uncles.  Yesterday, he was able to point to Keila. 
I laugh to think that Kai will understand English and Japanese, but hardly speak it and yet, he will be completely fluent in sign language! He is able to "speak"/sign in complete sentences.  We have stopped the sign language dvds because I want to encourage more verbal speaking. Kai "says"/signs things like, "Eat more please," or "Help banana please"...
I am grateful that he is able to express himself in some sort of way, even if it isn't coming out of his mouth.  On our latest visit to Ryuta's parents in Japan, they said that Ryuta didn't talk until he was THREE! Some of my friends have been saying that their kids are all of a sudden really talking more and repeating things more.  I'm still waiting for Kai, but I don't really think about it as much.  Kai's 18 month apt is next week and I'll talk to the doctor.  I think Kai knows. He is just keeping all of it inside in his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment